Sunday, October 6, 2013

More Blocking +Endings


So I started addressing the notes, shot some more reference, and came up with a couple ideas. Something someone said (can't remember who!) in class made me think to add chopsticks to the one girl to accent the difference in their personalities. If it doesn't work they're easy to take out, but I think it also gives her something else to do other than stare at her food like a moron. And thanks to my backwards recording video camera I just realized I also made her a lefty. This might create too much of a mirror effect in the girls, but I agreed with someone's comment that having their hands just hidden is not natural. I scaled them down, so hopefully they kinda work now. Also, I'm not sure I'm happy with the ending so I blocked out two other options and added them on to the end. Okay, will stop ranting now. Comments/feedback appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, thanks for posting! I'm glad to hear you shot some more reference, and I think the changes you have made are for the best. A couple of comments about the blocking - it looks like you've transitioned into splines without enough keys or breakdowns to hold your poses, so it's constantly drifting around in a distracting way. This makes it harder to tell where your work ends and the computer begins. You need to get some holds in there, and put more breakdowns between the poses, especially in the arms, which are moving like they're in IK (likely because they are). As for the optional endings, I prefer the 2nd. One last note about the clip - it's so small! Can you embed a larger version next time that's easier to see? I think YouTube allows you to customize the embedded resolution. If not, you could try Vimeo instead, which usually yields higher quality. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren!
    I really like the decisions you've made! Your adjustments to the beginning of the shot with the blonde already seated and the redheaded one settling down works great! It simplifies that beginning phrase, plus, the audience is instantly drawn to be looking at the one talking. That, and the re-staging keeps each character immediately identifiable at the beginning of the shot, instead of having to wait for one of them to come into frame. So that's awesome.

    I also really like your decision on the chopsticks! It gives the character on the right better options for unique gestures and is working great to add some good texture and variety to that character's acting..

    As for the different options for the end, I like the second take with the stern look the most. I think that's the simplest, and clearest way to depict her feelings to the audience. And it's a pretty fun reaction.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing the lip sync in there with your shot. So far it's looking excellent. Awesome work!!

    -Robert

    ReplyDelete