Hey folks!
So I did a few extra changes to my shot in the hopes of achieving a stronger performance. I really felt my shot was lacking personality and texture, and needed something more to get more emotion out of the character. While driving home from class and thinking about the Specificity Lecture Victor gave as well as the feedback I got from everyone, I felt that what was lacking was specifics which more obviously impacted my acting choices.
When I first approached the shot, I really only had her inner thoughts and emotions in mind, but not other specifics about the situation. Then I figured that since she is already wearing an outdoor jacket, and there are crickets in the audio track, she should be outside. And to elevate the stress of the scene, it would make sense for her to have to reject Tom's proposal while in a public place. Keeping that new element in mind, I tried to adjust her acting to show how the situation, in addition to the emotions she's already experiencing, impacts her behavior more visibly. That's what I'm going for here. I figured it was an idea at least worth investigating, so I revamped my initial blocking to get to where I am now. I also added a background and a couple lights to make it clear that she's actually somewhere where there could be other people about.
It's kind of a leap, but I'd really appreciate to hear what you guys think. If it's working better like this or if I should keep it simple and stick with what I had and continue from there, as well as any other notes you may have.
Original Shot
Revamped Blocking with added Specificity
Thanks a ton! I'm lookin forward to your feedback!
-Robert
Hi Robert, I like how you're thinking! Adding the background image really does add an extra layer to the piece, doesn't it? I think the idea of the lookaround after the sigh is good, but right now it feels like she's looking right at camera, which took me out of the scene the first time I watched it. I would have her look further to screen right, or go the other way to screen left, so it's clear she's looking around to make sure she doesn't embarrass him in front of others. I'm not sure if I like her last glance to the side on "sorry". It feels kind of sheepish to me, and my instinct is that she should remain more internal and focused in front of her. Great work!
ReplyDeleteGreat! I'll work on adding in those changes, as well as start defining the lip sync and and anything else I can by class.Thanks a ton for the feedback!
ReplyDelete