Sunday, December 15, 2013

Guitar shot from Nicole

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for all the posts, I'm trying to bust everything out the last week! Here's my newest version of the guitar shot, I tried to hit all the notes from class about adding elasticity to her face, getting more contrast into her last smile, and getting the arm/hand to not stay so locked. I still feel like there's this huge gap between the quality of my shot and the level of polish I want, but I'm not sure really how to get there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWMJcx-QogTcHQ3eXZCSjBRQTA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for taking a look!

-Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole!

    I hear ya I'm scrambling to get as much done as I can too :P
    Your work's looking awesome though! This shot really feels a lot looser and more organic. The polish notes you hit from class make it feel much more alive, especially in her face.

    I think the only thing that you really need to push from here is your timing and spacing. I think what your shot is missing is texture. If you go through and really track the actions that are happening within each phrase of your shot, they all feel fairly evenly spaced or are too similarly timed.

    For instance, taking a look at the last phrase where she strums, and just looking at her head. If you track her nose there's a nice arc there, but the spacing of the action feels pretty even. Then the action of her hand strumming is happening at the same, plus that action also has fairly even spacing as it moves down. So you've got two evenly spaced actions overlapping eachother, and that's taking away from the texture.

    Then taking a look at the first phrase where she's shaking her head on "and I'm not done with it yet", the extremes of that head shake are timed fairly evenly, as is the spacing of her head as it moves down. So again you've got two evenly spaced actions overlapping.

    I feel like going through and doing a spacing pass where you track and adjust individual things, like just the arcs of her hand and then just her nose then her shoulders, and then doing a pass adjusting how all those arcs and spacings relate to one another, you'll be able to get that texture you're looking for.

    Really though it's a super solid shot already. I am incredibly familiar with that feeling of knowing there's more you can do to push your shot but not knowing how to get there and this is one of those things on my check list that I use to try and get there. I'm still workin on getting there though haha, but hopefully that helps!

    Great work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try translating the nose for a few of your extreme mouth shapes. Noses are pretty mobile on the face even though they can't really move much on their own. It might get you some more elasticity in the facial animation.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, looking good! I would agree with the comments above. A couple other little details:
    85-93 the shoulders move too independently from each other. Sync them up a bit more
    113-122 whatever you're doing to stretch the jaw here is too visible. I want to feel it, not see it. You either need to tone it down or adjust the timing to hide it in the head move.
    44-97 screen left elbow still feeling a bit stiff. Add some small adjusts to loosen up forearm.
    Guitar looks kinda Flintstone style. Cool!

    ReplyDelete