Saturday, November 30, 2013

Kathryn's Spliney Splines of f1-65

Hey y'all! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I've been working on my shot phrase by phrase in hopes of getting it to around 80-85%. Today I worked on the first 65 frames, or the phrase, "I fell asleep watching the movie Amelie." I haven't polished the arms yet, so I took them off. If you'd like to see a version with arms, lemme know!

Any and all notes on eyes/brows/lip sync/head accents/body motion would be greatly appreciated! The eyes are probably where I've put the least amount of work in thus far.

Also, Victor mentioned that it might be helpful to parent the eye movers to a sphere or something to keep them locked in the correct general area... however... since the eyes move between the coffee mug, the coffee pot, and then the other character, I was wondering what the best method would be for doing something like that.... right now, the eye mover is just in head space....

Thanks, yo!

Red Wine Spline f1-65 (no arms)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Kathryn!

    Your shot is looking great! Everything is working great with the dialogue. I love the subtle head movement, you've got some nice arcs in there already too.

    There's not much to critique in my opinion. The carafe movement I imagine will get smoothed out once you have the arms in there so that's cool. One thing I did notice was the brows seem a little too active, but I think it's just the anticipation before they go up on "Amelie". I don't think brows anticipate too often unless its like a big cartoony take, so if you just have them go up without an anticipation it'll simplify that a little bit and make the brows less distracting.

    Lookin forward to seeing the arms in there! Happy animating! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathryn!

    Good to see you getting to push into more polish for this shot! It's really coming along! The torso is really feeling nice and loose.

    The one eye note I would give is that she sort of flares her top lids a bit right around 30-34, and I think you could probably do without it as it's so fast that it feels a little unintentional.

    I would probably agree with Robert's note about the brows being a little too busy while she's saying "Amelie". You could probably simplify them a little by either keeping them up from 48-52 or by keeping them down from 38-48. I don't have a problem with them accenting "Amelie," it just feels like they're a little too active leading up to that.

    As far as lip sync goes, there are a few phonemes that are coming in a little late. It feels like the "M" in "movie" is late and "W" shape in "watching". In general you want to lead those shapes pretty early. I also think you could lose the mouth shape you have for "the" between "watching" and "movie". The "Ah" from "watching" can probably go straight into the "M" from "movie" and "the" only comes with the tongue instead of with the jaw.

    I would also hold the shape at the end of "Amelie" open a bit longer. Right now it sort of feels like you're rushing to get back to that neutral mouth shape.

    That's all I can think of for the moment. Can't wait to see some sweet hand animation! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathryn, the polish is coming along nicely! I think the body stuff is looking really good, particularly the head patterns. From 22-38 I feel the movement of the chest is too isolated. Try to feather that bend more into the lower torso and root. I agree about the brows being too busy. I think you could lose the brow down motion around 25, and the final brow pose on 65 looks too worried. I would just have her old the up pose from 54 through "amelie". Of course I don't know how that ties into the next phrase... As for lip synch, push "ooh" on "Watching", and hold the lips in the "ee" shape at the end of "amelEE" instead of closing them.
    Good work. See you Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Victor! I'm excited to be making progress instead of battling tech problems. I'm going to try and hit these notes and push forward. I'd like to at least have a majority if not all of the shot up to about 80% so we can start doing the fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete