Saturday, November 30, 2013

Keith - Second Pass Blocking

So I took another crack at blocking out my second shot.  I tried to stick a bit closer to the reference for the acting beats for both of them.  I toned down some of his expressions from the first pass and tried to push hers a bit more.  I'm slowly learning what works and what doesn't for each model, but I still think some of the posing could use some work  The lip sync poses are a little off from having to shift around the timing a little in places, but hopefully you get the idea.

Also got a chance to rig that newspaper and do a bit better job of modeling and texturing the chair he's sitting in.   Hopefully it's a little less distracting now.

Anyhow, let me know what you think!

Second Pass Blocking

4 comments:

  1. Hey Keith!

    I hope you had a good Thanksgiving holiday! Your shot is looking awesome man! Her attitude is looking great. I like how she ends up higher at the end, but overall I'd like to see you play more with the status change of each character at the end. Having him go a little bit lower and having her just drifting up instead of settling back down could emphasize that status change that happens at the end when she hits him with that last line.

    I still feel like his expression change for "that one hurts the most" is happening too late. Because the line: "of all the lies" is a thought that's leading into his hurt and anger, that's when the expression change should be happening, but right now it happens after. That makes it feel like two separate thoughts instead of one leading into the other.

    I like the newspaper a lot more now. It's definitely not distracting anymore because it's reacting naturally to his movements so that's pretty cool. I do feel like his screen left hand is at a bit of an awkward angle though. from our perspective I wouldn't expect to see that much of his hand there. And overall for holding a newspaper I think his hands are posed like he's holding something much heavier.

    Awesome work man! The tension is there and it's one of those shots that really draws you in cause you can tell there's history and friction between them. It's super entertaining, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've gone back to your original reference. It's definitely appealing in its simplicity.

    I don't have anything to add to what Robert already said, so I'll just say it's looking great and I'm excited to see it progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith, great blocking! I think you've recaptured a lot of what was working so well in your video ref. A couple of thoughts:
    The composition is a bit odd. Both of their heads are bumping against the top of the frame. I would tilt up just a bit and crop out more of the hands.
    His reaction to "I adored you" comes too late. Let his face go into the transition about 10 frames earlier to anticipate the dialog. After that, have his eyes go back down to the newspaper, as if he's trying to get back to normalcy.
    I agree with Lazz about moving his expression for "terrible" earlier.
    His expression change on 275 is too early. Save this relaxation for the last beat after she says "saved it up for now" (around 360) and just keep him angry expression until that moment.
    She needs to anticipate "I still do" with her eyes. Add some kind of change there, such as sliding her wide-eyed expression on 131 earlier to frame 101.
    I think she keeps her eyes closed too long. This is good for letting us focus on him, but it almost seems as if she's going to sleep. Try a long, slow blink, or have the eyes only open partially as she listens to him.
    Don't have her pull quite so far away on "saved it". I like that she rises up, but keep her in close so she's talking right into his ear.
    I like that you're pushing her brow expressions, but I think some of the poses look too extreme/broken, particularly the last pose.

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith, great stuff here! you have a lot of good comments, but I just wanted to add that I really like his eye darts after "terrible." People have talked about the timing of that, but I think that when his eyes dart up on "never" in the beginning, it's too similar to the eye darts after "terrible" so I think if you either dart his eyes toward screen left a bit, or leave them, it would have more contrast and we would focus more on his internal conflict at the end. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete